Today, I’d like to share with you how to make Katsu Sandwich from Charlotte S1E2.
What is Katsu Sandwich
A typical katsu sandwich is made by placing a pork cutlet between two pieces of bread and cutting them into rectangular or triangular pieces. It is seasoned with tonkatsu sauce and mustard. The bread may or may not be toasted. It is often served with shredded cabbage.
Watch How to Make Katsu Sandwich
|PREP TIME: 15 mins
|COOK TIME: 10 mins
|TOTAL TIME: 25 mins
|COURSE: Main Course
|SERVINGS: 2 people
- 4 slice sandwich bread
- tonkatsu sauce
- 3 slice sandwich bread A store-bought panko is also ok.
Tonkatsu / Pork Cutlet
- 2 chuck eye roll / pork loin
- a little salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tbsp egg
- 1 cup panko / breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- To Prepare Panko
- Cut the crusts off the sandwich bread and cut into small pieces. Grind them in a blender to make bread crumbs. (You can also use store-bought panko!)
- Place the panko in a bowl or bat.
To Make Tonkatsu
- To prevent the pork from curling up, use a knife to cut the border between the fat and lean. **Be careful not to make a cut that goes all the way through. The flavor and fat is lost when frying.
- Using your fingers, massage the meat to soften it. If there are any hard parts, use a knife to cut the tendons.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sift the flour and sprinkle it evenly on both sides and remove excess flour.
- Dip in beaten egg.
- Dredge in panko and press gently. It doesn’t have to be fluffy because panko will pop up during deep frying.
To Deep Fry
- Heat oil in a deep pot or pan to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Place a piece of panko or wooden chopsticks in the oil. When small bubbles appear around them, it’s ready to fry.
- Add in the pork. Fry for 3 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown. **If you over-fry it, the meat will lose its moisture and become less juicy and dry.
- Take out the pork and remove excess oil by holding it vertically for a few seconds. Place it on the wire rack and let it sit for 5 minutes.
To Make Sandwich
- Spread butter on sandwich bread. You can spread mustard or toast if you like.
- After spreading a generous amount of tonkatsu sauce on one side of the cutlet, place it on a piece of bread with that side down.
- Spread a generous amount of tonkatsu sauce on the other side, then cover with bread.
- Wrap tightly in parchment paper or plastic wrap and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Cut in half.