Today, I’d like to share with you how to make omurice from Mob Psycho 100 Season 1 Episode 1.
Omurice is a food with seasoned rice with ketchup wrapped in an egg and topped with ketchup or other sauces. It is a combination of the English word “omelet” (or the French word “omelette”) and “rice”.
In Japan, it’s a very popular Western food called ”Yoshoku (洋食)” and is loved by both children and adults. It’s often made not only in Western style restaurants but also in general diners and homes like in the scene from the Mob Psycho.
Variations of Omurice
Omurice is a dish that can be enjoyed in endless combinations of ingredients, sauces, and shapes with no rules. You can make it based on your feeling at the time or the ingredients you have in your fridge.
Ingredients for Seasoned Rice
Generally, chicken and onions are added, but there is no rule for ingredients, so you can make it with whatever you like. You can make a delicious omelet by adding the following ingredients.
- Green onion
- Green peas
Flavor of Seasoned Rice
It is usually seasoned with ketchup, but you can enjoy a different flavor by making it with various seasonings. In this recipe, ketchup is used as the sauce. This is because I saw a bottle of ketchup in the scene of the dining table eating an omurice.
- Salt and Pepper
- Unsweetened Tomato sauce
- Soy sauce
Sauce over Omurice
- Tomato ketchup
- Demi-glace sauce
- Béchamel sauce / White sauce
- Curry (called Omu-Curry)
- Hashed beef (called Omu-Hayashi)
- Cream Stew (called Omu-Stew)
Tips for Cooking Japanese Rice
Since rice is one of the main ingredients in an omelet, cooking the rice is a very important part of the process. Here is the link to the instructions on how to make perfect rice on a separate page. Sometimes I see foreigners cooking with rice that is not Japanese rice. Be sure to use Japanese one, not Thai rice or rice used in Chinese cooking (which gives a more parched finish than Japanese rice).
You can watch how to rinse the rice from the video link in below.
What tools are needed?
- Non-stick frying pan : To make an omelet like the one in Mob Psycho, I recommend using a non-stick frying pan. You can also make it with an iron frying pan, but it will be much more difficult. Stainless steel pans are not recommended because the eggs will stick to them.
- Rubber Spatula : To wrap the rice neatly without damaging the egg, and to make a beautiful rugby ball shape, I recommend using a rubber spatula. Its elasticity makes the work easier. You can use a wooden spatula or a spoon instead, but you might accidentally make a hole in the egg.
Watch How to Make Omurice
How to Make Omurice from Mob Psycho 100
- Non-stick frying pan
- 300 g cooked rice
- 80 g chicken breast or thigh
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp canned corn
- 2 tbsp canned green peas
- 1/3 carrot
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 10 g unsalted butter
- a little salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk / plant based milk
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- Finely mince the onions.
- Cut the chicken into small bite-sized pieces and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cut the carrots into small cubes and boil until cooked.
To Cook Seasoned Rice
- Heat a frying pan, add unsalted butter, and saute onions and chickens over medium heat.
- Add corn, green peas and carrots and saute well.
- Add 1 tbsp of the 4 tbsps of ketchup and mix well.
- Add the cooked rice and stir-fry well until there are no more chunks, then add the remaining ketchup and stir-fry some more.
- When well mixed, transfer to a bowl or other container.
To Make the Omurice (Make one at a time)
- Start with the first omurice. Crack 3 eggs into a small bowl and add 1 tbsp of milk / plant based milk. Then whisk together.
- Heat another non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Once melted, add the beaten egg.
- Stir the eggs as if you were making scrambled eggs. Then shake the pan to prevent the eggs from sticking. Turn off the heat when the eggs are half-cooked.
- Place half of the seasoned rice in the middle of the egg, lengthwise, and use a heat-resistant rubber spatula to cover the rice with the egg.
- Hold a plate in one hand, the pan in the other hand, and flip the pan and move the omurice to the plate.
- Shape it into spindle form (American football shape!!). You can use paper towels or rubber gloves to shape them.
- Place 2 tbsp ketchup over the Omurice. Enjoy!
Recipe by ninjarecipe.net. All contents and images on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without permission. If you would like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe and link to this post as the original source. Thank you for understanding.