Today, I’d like to share with you how to make omurice from episode 5 of The Way of the Househusband（極主夫道）, as well as some trivia about omurice. In Japan, it’s a very popular Western food called ”Yoshoku (洋食)” and is loved by both children and adults.
What is Omurice?
Omurice is a food with cooked rice wrapped in an egg and topped with ketchup or other sauces. It is a combination of the English word “omelet” (or the French word “omelette”) and “rice”. It is often made not only in Western style restaurants but also in general diners and homes in Japan.
Various types of omurice
A basic omurice is made by cooking a beaten egg thinly in a pan and wrapping it around seasoned rice. The seasoned rice is called “chicken rice”, where the chicken and rice cooked together, and seasoned with ketchup. In some cases, pilaf, fried rice, or buttered rice is also available, and there is no rule for the rice to be placed inside.
It is commonly made into a spindle shape and topped with tomato ketchup, demi-glace sauce, or béchamel sauce. Omurice topped with curry, hashed beef, or stew is called “omu-curry”, “omu-hayashi”, or “omu-stew”.
What type of omurice appears in The Way of the Househusband?
It looks like a very simple and basic spindle form of omurice. Wapping seasoned rice with ketchup in a fluffy egg, then finished with the word “Ninkyo” with ketchup. It was not cleat what the ingredients for the rice from the story.
The Way of the Househusband (極主夫道 Gokushufudō) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Kousuke Oono. Published in the online manga magazine Kurage Bunch since 2018, The Way of the Househusband follows an ex- yakuza boss who retires from crime to become a househusband. The series was adapted into a live-action TV drama by Nippon TV in 2020. A Netflix original net animation anime series produced by J.C.Staff was released in April 2021. Wikipedia : The Way of the Househusband
What does “NINKYO (任侠)” mean?
Ninkyo（任侠）is a word that refers to a self-sacrificing spirit or a person’s character that respects humanity, and when he sees someone in trouble or suffering, he can’t let them alone and will devote himself to helping them. Some people mistakenly think it means yakuza, but the meaning is completely different.
Tips for making a Ninkyo Omurice
Cooking rice is the most basic and important part of Japanese cooking, so I have included instructions on how to make perfect rice on a separate page. Sometimes I see foreigners cooking with rice that is not Japanese rice. Be sure to use Japanese one, not Thai rice or rice used in Chinese cooking (which gives a more parched finish than Japanese rice).
Omurice (Omelette Rice) from The Way of the Househusband
- 1 big bowl cooked rice about 150g (5.3oz)
- 1-2 sausage chicken is also available
- ½ minced onions small
- 2-3 tbsp ketchup
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 10 g butter for stir-frying egg
- boiled broccoli
To make seasoned rice
- Cut the sausage into 5 mm thick and mince the onion.
- Heat a frying pan, add oil (not included), and saute onions and sausages over medium heat.
- Put the cooked rice in a bowl, add the sauteed onions and sausage, and mix well. Add ketchup, salt and pepper and repeat mixing well.
- （If you don't like the sour taste of ketchup, stir-fry it a little to make it easier to eat. If not necessary, you can skip this step.）
To wrap with egg
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add salt and beat well.
- Heat a small frying pan (20cm-22cm) over medium heat (a non-stick pan is the best).
- Add butter and turn the pan around to melt it, then turn the heat to low and add the eggs.
- Stir the eggs as if you were making scrambled eggs. Then shake the pan to prevent the eggs from sticking, and turn off the heat when the eggs are half-cooked.
- Place seasoned rice in the middle of the egg, lengthwise, and use a wooden spatula or heat-resistant rubber spatula to cover the rice with the egg.
- Hold a plate in one hand, the pan in the other hand, and flip the pan and move the omurice to the plate.
- Shape it into spindle form (American football shape!!).
- Put some ketchup in the corner of a Ziploc (plastic bag), cut the very tip a little bit, and write letters with a ketchup coming out of that part.
- It may be difficult, but try to imitate "任侠" in your writing.
Recipe by ninjarecipe.net. All contents and images on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without permission. If you would like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe and link to this post as the original source. Thank you for understanding.