Today, I’d like to share with you how to make Japanese pork curry from Haikyu!! Season1 Episode11. (The anime character Tobio Kageyama’s favorite dish is a pork curry!!)
Japanese style curry is made with a variety of vegetables and meats along with sauces. The basic ingredients are onions, carrots, and potatoes, with your choice of beef, pork, chicken, or seafood. Curry made with these common ingredients is very popular in Japan.
Easy recipe for Homemade Curry Roux from Scratch
In Japanese families, curry sauce is usually made using instant curry roux in block or powder form, which contains curry powder, flour, oil, and various seasonings. Due to the ease of preparation and the wide variety and availability of instant curry mixes, curry rice is very easy to make and is gaining popularity compared to other Japanese dishes. However, instant curry roux is surprisingly expensive overseas, so I have developed the homemade curry roux recipe over the years!
This link will take you to a recipe for “Easy to Make Homemade Japanese Curry Roux.”
You can make the roux while the curry ingredients are simmering.
There are many types of curry, such as curry with pork cutlet on top of curry rice, or soup curry in the form of a soup without thickening. The curry in Anime, Haikyu!!, is not detailed from the video, but it looks like a very simple curry.
Recommended toppings for Japanese Pork Curry
My recommendation for curry toppings is definitely the egg. The spiciness of the curry and the mildness of the egg are a perfect match. Here is the link to the recipe for ramen egg which is surprisingly easy to make and it goes great with curry.
- How to Make Perfect Ramen Egg – Seasoned Egg – 味玉
How to Cook Basic Japanese Pork Curry from Haikyu!!
- 600 g pork belly
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots,
- 4 potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 liter water
- 190 g homemade curry roux
To Prepare the Ingredients
- Slice the onions and peel and cut the carrot in rolling wedges.
- Cut the potatoes into bite size pieces.
- Season a pork belly with a little bit of salt and pepper and cut into bite size pieces.
To Cook the Curry
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onions until they become translucent and tender.
- Add the pork and cook until it's no longer pink.
- Add the carrot and potatoes mix well to coat with oil. (If you are using potatoes that are easily broken up, add them later.)
- Add a water and bay leaf and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, using a small fine-mesh strainer, skim the scrum from the surface of the broth.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. If the heat is too high, lower the heat slightly.
- (You can make curry roux from scratch while the curry ingredients are simmering. Scroll up to see the recipe.)
- Add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
To Add the Curry Roux
- Add the pre-cooked curry roux powder to the pot.
- Stir slowly over low heat until melted.
- Cook over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Taste and add 1-2 tablespoons of curry roux if you find it missing something.
Thank you for reading! Stay in touch with us on Youtube, TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook.
This article is written by ninjarecipe.net. All contents and images on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without permission. If you would like to share this article on your site, please re-write it and link to this post as the original source. Thank you for understanding.