Today, I’d like to share with you how to make Japanese curry rice with chickpeas and whole tomato from Beastars Anime from Netflix Season2 Episode22. You can also find the same scene from manga 11.
We don’t get to know all the detailed ingredients in the anime, but we do know that beans, tomatoes, and carrots are used.
All the animals in this anime are vegetarians, so this curry should be vegetarian. However, I added ground meat to it and made “black market style curry.” It came up with an original curry recipe that brought out the umami of the meat.
I understand that if I am to be faithful to the anime, I should not add meat. On the other hand, I also have a desire to share a truly delicious curry. Rather than making it mainly with chickpeas, I added meat to make it richer and more delicious. So please understand that I made it as a black market style.
Of course, you do not have to use meat if you prefer!! Soy meat would also be a good choice.
Easy recipe for Homemade Curry Roux from Scratch
In Japanese families, curry sauce is usually made using instant curry roux in block or powder form, which contains curry powder, flour, oil, and various seasonings. Due to the ease of preparation and the wide variety and availability of instant curry mixes, curry rice is very easy to make and is gaining popularity compared to other Japanese dishes. However, instant curry roux is surprisingly expensive overseas, so I have developed the homemade curry roux recipe over the years!
This link will take you to a recipe for “Easy to Make Homemade Japanese Curry Roux.”
You can make the roux while the curry ingredients are simmering.
The Pork Curry is the another choice for Japanese Curry Rice
There are many types of curry, such as curry with pork cutlet on top of curry rice, or soup curry in the form of a soup without thickening. The curry in Anime, Haikyu!!, is not detailed from the video, but it looks like a very simple curry.
You can find the pork curry recipe from the following link. -> How to Cook Basic Japanese Pork Curry from Haikyu S1 E11
How to Cook Japanese Curry Rice with chickpeas, minced meat, and tomato from Beastars
- 400 g ground beef as your choice!!!
- 1 onions, minced medium
- 2 carrots, small chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 800 ml water
- 200 boiled chickpeas, lightly mash use more if you don't use meat
- 4 tomatoes, boiled and peeled
- 190 g homemade curry roux
To Prepare the Ingredients
- Chop the onion into small pieces and cut the carrots into small chunks.
- Lightly mash the boiled chickpeas.
To Make Boiled and Peeled Tomatoes
- Remove the stem of the tomato and make a cross-shaped shallow slit on the opposite side of the stem.
- Put the tomatoes into boiled water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place in ice water and peel off the tomato skin with your fingers.
To Cook the Curry
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onions until they become translucent and tender.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it's no longer pink.
- Add the carrot and mix well to coat with oil.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. If the heat is too high, lower the heat slightly.
- (You can make curry roux from scratch while the curry ingredients are simmering. Scroll up to see the recipe.)
- When the carrots are tender, add the chickpeas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
To Add the Curry Roux
- Add the pre-cooked curry roux powder to the pot.
- Stir slowly over low heat until melted.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Be careful not to get burned and stuck to the pan.
This article is written by ninjarecipe.net. All contents and images on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without permission. If you would like to share this article on your site, please re-write it and link to this post as the original source. Thank you for understanding.